Beef Gulya's 'Vienna Style'
- 1 1/2 pounds onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 pounds beef chuck cut into 2-inch pieces
- 6 tablespoons water or veal stock
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 sprig (pinch) marjoram
Fry the onions in hot oil until golden. Add paprika and stir well. Add the meat, cover and allow to simmer for 5 minutes. Add water or stock, tomato puree, salt, vinegar and marjoram. Cover saucepan and simmer on low heat for 3 to 3 1/2 hours, adding more water only if necessary. Serve with boiled potatoes, noodles or dumplings.
A specialty of Vienna Intercontinental Hotel, Austria