- 1/2 cup lightly packed whole-wheat sourdough bread cubes
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 2 medium red onions; 1 grated, 1 halved and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried mint
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef chuck
- 1/2 firm ripe cantaloupe, cut into matchsticks
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
Soak the bread in water for 10 minutes; squeeze dry and pulse in a food processor with the walnuts, grated onion, 1 teaspoon paprika, cinnamon, mint, cumin, cayenne, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Add 1 tablespoon dill and the parsley; pulse until smooth.
Knead the spice paste and beef in a bowl. Form into 8 egg-shaped pieces, then flatten into 1/2-inch-thick oval patties. Refrigerate for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, soak the sliced red onion in ice water; drain.
Toss the cantaloupe, lemon juice, 1 teaspoon salt, onion slices and the remaining 1 tablespoon dill and 1/2 teaspoon paprika in a bowl.
Preheat the grill to medium-high. Brush the patties with olive oil. Grill about 5 minutes; flip and continue grilling until cooked through but still moist, 4 more minutes. Serve with the melon slaw.
Per serving: Calories 416; Fat 24 g (Saturated 8 g); Cholesterol 104 mg; Sodium 1,336 mg; Carbohydrate 17 g; Fiber 3 g; Protein 33 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos