- 14 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 4 small hot chiles, seeded
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon English mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 lemon, juiced, pith removed and rind chopped, membranes removed and pulp chopped
- 2 pounds chuck steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- Clarified butter
- 1 small onion, finely sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cloves
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- Freshly ground salt, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
For marinade: Blend together garlic and red wine vinegar. Add chiles, cumin, turmeric, mustard, ginger, salt, sugar, lemon peel, juice, and pulp and blend well.
Place beef in bowl and pour marinade over it. Stir in poppy seeds and sit for 2 hours.
Heat clarified butter in pan and add onion. Cook until translucent, then add bay leaves and cloves. With slotted spoon, lift meat from marinade and add to onions. Increase heat to sear meat. Pour in marinade. Cover tightly, reduce heat and cook 1 hour.
After 1 hour, add tomato paste, stirring thoroughly, and cook another 30 minutes, until meat is tender. Season with salt and pepper.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.