Beer-Basted Pulled Pork Roast
- 6 cups beer
- 2 1/2 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teapoons dried crushed red pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (5 to 8 pound) Boston pork butt
Bring first 9 ingredients to a boil in a very large pot. Reduce heat and simmer 1 minute to blend flavors. Place pork in a large Dutch oven, pour half the liquid over the pork. Cover and place the pork in a 300 degree preheated oven. Roast for 4 to 5 hours.
Boil remaining liquid over medium high heat, stirring occasionally. Pay careful attention to the sauce near the 30 minute mark, if the mixture gets foamy, remove from heat. Cook until reduced to the consistency of syrup, about 40 minutes. Discard bay leaves and let cool for about 15 minutes. Mixture will thicken considerably as it cools. Top roasted pork with BBQ sauce.
Recipe courtesy of Karen Saracusa