- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 8 ounces beer
- Flour for dusting
- 3-4 cups peanut oil for frying
- 1 1/4 pounds rock shrimp or peeled white shrimp
Combine 1 cup of the flour with the cayenne, salt, sugar and baking powder in a medium bowl.
Add beer all at once and whisk until smooth. Set aside at least 1/2 hour.
Heat oil to deep-fry temperature (350/) in a large saucepan. Test oil by sprinkling a few drops of
batter and if they rise to the surface, the oil is ready. Toss the shrimps in the flour for dusting and toss to coat evenly, then pat off excess. Drop a few at a time first in the batter then into the hot oil and fry until lightly golden and crispy-- about 2 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Serve immediately with the following dipping sauce.
- CHIPOTLE HONEY DIPPING SAUCE
- 2 chipotle chiles, stemmed and seeded
- 1 tomato, cored and cut in quarters
- 1/2 small onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1/2 cup water
- l teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
In a small saucepan, bring chiles, tomato, water, onion, garlic and salt to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook, slowly, covered for 15 minutes, then puree in a blender until smooth transfer to a small bowl and add honey and vinegar. Serve at room temperature as a dipping sauce with shrimps.
Yield: 2 1/2 cups