Beer Braised Corned Beef with Red Potatoes and Carrots
- 1 (3-pound) corned beef brisket
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 large shallots, peeled and halved
- 2 tablespoons pickling spice
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 2 (12-ounce) bottles beer (not light)
- 1/2 cup Irish whiskey
- 6 carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 6 red potatoes, cut into 2-inch dice
- 4 sprigs fresh dill
- Kale leaves, for plating
Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F.
Put the corned beef into a large roasting pan (preferably with a lid). Add the garlic, shallots, pickling spice, caraway seeds, beer and whiskey. Cover and place in the oven. Braise 3 hours, turning the meat once. At the end of the 3 hours, add the carrots, potatoes and dill. Cover again and place back in the oven for an additional 2 hours. Remove from the oven. Line a platter with kale leaves, place the corned beef in the center and mound the carrots and potatoes around it. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy Dan Smith and Steve McDonagh null