1. Chunky Guacamole Finely chop 1 small white onion and 1 serrano chile. Mix with 1 cup torn cilantro, 3 diced avocados, the juice of 2 limes and salt to taste.
2. Chipotle Guacamole Mash 3 avocados with 1/4 cup minced red onion, 1 tablespoon minced chipotles in adobo sauce, the juice of 1 lime and salt to taste.
3. Tropical Guacamole Make Chipotle Guacamole (No. 2), replacing the chipotles with minced jalapenos. Add 1/4 cup each chopped mango and pineapple and 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro.
4. Lima Bean Guacamole Cook 10 ounces frozen lima beans in salted water until tender; drain and rinse. Pulse in a food processor with 1 avocado, 1/2 chopped small white onion, the juice of 2 limes, 1 serrano chile, 1/2 cup torn cilantro, and salt to taste. Fold in 1 chopped tomato.
5. Garlic-Herb Dip Halve 3 heads garlic crosswise. Drizzle with olive oil, wrap in foil and roast at 400 degrees F, 40 minutes. Squeeze out the pulp; mix with 1 cup mayonnaise, 1 teaspoon each lemon zest and juice, and chopped sage and parsley to taste. Season with salt.
6. Hot Crab Dip Mix 3 ounces cream cheese, 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 2 teaspoons lemon juice, and hot sauce and chopped parsley to taste; fold in 1/2 pound crabmeat. Spread in a baking dish, top with breadcrumbs (preferably panko) and bake at 425 degrees F until golden, about 15 minutes.
7. Blue Cheese Dip Mix 4 ounces crumbled blue cheese, 1/2 cup each mayonnaise and sour cream, 1/4 cup buttermilk and some minced chives.
8. Thai Crab Dip Make Hot Crab Dip (No. 6), replacing the lemon juice with lime juice and the parsley with cilantro. Use sriracha for the hot sauce.
9. Buffalo Dip Make Blue Cheese Dip (No. 7), adding 2 tablespoons hot sauce and 1/2 cup finely chopped celery, and replacing the chives with minced celery leaves.
10. Mustard-Beer Dip Simmer 12 ounces pale ale until reduced by half. Stir in 1/2 cup yellow mustard, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 1 tablespoon each mustard powder and cider vinegar, and 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce; cool.