- 3 medium beets (about one pound)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onion
- 1 tablespoon snipped mint
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 cups Romaine lettuce, torn
- 1 tart green apple, diced
- Fresh mint for garnish
Cook whole beets covered, in simmering water for 4050 minutes until tender. Drain, and cool slightly, remove skin and cut into thin strips.
To serve, combine torn Romaine and diced apple in a serving bowl, toss with the rest of the dressing, and top with beets. Garnish with mint.
ROASTED BABY BEETS AND Sauteed BEET GREENS
Take 3 bunches of baby beets, washed well with tops. Cut off the tops, and place the beets in a roasting pan, toss with olive oil and add rosemary sprigs. Roast at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes. Remove skin while warm, and cut in half. Meanwhile saute the beet greens in olive oil and add a splash of balsamic vinegar. Season with salt and pepper and place on plate, top with baby beets.