Beets with Carrots in a Lime Vinaigrette
- Total Time:
- 50 min
- 30 min
- 20 min
- 4 to 6 servings
- 6 medium carrots, scrubbed
- 4 medium beets, scrubbed
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and sliced into 1/4inch thick crescents
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, leaves only, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
Using a steamer basket over medium boiling salted water, lightly steam the carrots and beets until tender and cooked through, about 12 minutes for the carrots and 1520 minutes for the beets. Remove carrots and beets and let sit at room temperature until cooled. Peel beets and cut into bitesize slices. Cut carrots on the diagonal.
Mix vegetables in a large bowl along with the cucumber.
Combine the dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Pour the dressing over the vegetables and toss to coat. Chill the salad until ready to serve.
c.1996, M.S. Milliken & S. Feniger, all rights reserved