- 1 cup cracked wheat
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 1/2 cup wheat berries
- 1/2 tablespoon sumac, or lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped mint
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 3 small scallions, chopped
- 1 small fennel, diced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped capers
- 1 tablespoon date syrup, or honey
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate syrup
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped dried figs
- 1/2 cup seeded and quartered red grapes
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
Presoak the cracked wheat in water for 1 hour.
Drain the cracked wheat and put in a large bowl. Cook the barley and wheat berries according to package directions in separate pots until soft, but still firm. Soak the sumac in 2 teaspoons of water. Strain the sumac, barley and wheat berries. Add them to the large bowl. Add remaining ingredients, except pine nuts, to the bowl and mix gently. Adjust seasoning and salt, to taste. Keep the salad at room temperature for 1 hour before serving. Serve in 4 individual bowls and garnish with pine nuts.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.