Black and Green Olive Tapenade
- 1 cup Nicoise olives, pitted
- 1 cup small green French olives (Picholine), pitted
- 1/4 cup oven-dried tomatoes, drained, recipe follows
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 anchovy fillet
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/4 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Crostini, recipe follows
- Oven-Dried Tomatoes:
- 12 medium Roma tomatoes (2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus additional as needed
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 slices bread, preferably sourdough
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 garlic clove
Herbed Goat Cheese:
2 teaspoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
2 teaspoons chopped fresh chives
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 (7 or 8-ounce) log goat cheese
Combine the parsley, chives, thyme, and pepper and place on a flat surface. Roll the log of cheese in the mixture, coating all sides and retaining the shape of the log. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed.
Yield: 1 log
In a food processor, combine all the ingredients, except the olive oil and crostini. Using the pulse button, process until coarsely chopped and well blended. Continue to process, slowly adding the olive oil. Refrigerate in a covered container. Spread on homemade crostini, recipe follows.
Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F.
Line a baking tray with parchment paper and arrange the tomato quarters on the tray, cut side down. Drizzle generously with olive oil. Sprinkle with thyme and garlic. In a small bowl, combine salt, pepper and sugar, and sprinkle evenly over the tomatoes.
Bake until the tomatoes begin to shrivel, about 1 hour. When the tomatoes are cool enough to handle, transfer to a container. Pour olive oil over and cover the container. Refrigerate and use as needed.
Yield: 1 1/4 cups
Arrange the bread slices in a baking tray. Brush with olive oil and bake in a preheated 350 degree F. oven for 6 to 8 minutes. Allow to cool, then rub with garlic clove. For each of the crostini, spread 1 tablespoon Herbed Goat Cheese (recipe follows) and top with 1 teaspoon Black and Green Olive Tapenade.
Yield: 2 servings
Recipe courtesy of Wolfgang Puck,