Black Bean and Ginger Dungeness Crab
- 2 Dungeness crab, shell off (save shells), claws cracked and body chopped up into 2-inch pieces
- 2 cups cornstarch, for dusting and to make a slurry with 1 tablespoon
- 3 cups peanut oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rinsed fermented black beans, chopped
- 4 large slices bruised ginger
- 8 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 5 scallions, chopped into 2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup shaoxing( cooking wine)
- 1 tablespoon naturally brewed soy sauce
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Salt and white pepper, to taste
- Small pot cooked Chinese rice
In a large wok, bring peanut oil to high temperature. Dust the crab pieces with cornstarch and a little salt. Shallow fry the crab for only 1 to 2 minutes until the crab shells turn red. Drain on paper towels. Do the same with the 2 shells. Reserve oil and wipe wok clean. Add 2 tablespoons oil back to the wok on high heat. Stir-fry the beans, ginger, garlic and scallions for 1 minute until soft. Add back the crab and deglaze with shaoxing and add soy and stock. Check for seasoning and bring to a boil. Thicken with the slurry and cook 30 more seconds. Serve immediately with the cooked shells.
PLATING On a large oval, place the 2 shells down near both ends. Fill with hot rice. Mound the crab between the shells. Enjoy with your fingers. Can also serve with lemon finger bowls.
Wine suggestion: Marsanne, Bois du Renard, Languedoc 1998
Thank you! your flag was submitted.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Dungeness Crabs Steamed on the Grill in Ginger, Soy, Lime, Mirin and Soy, Black Bean Soup with Crab and Andouille Sausage, Wok-Fried Dungeness Crab, Asian Salad Recipes, Garlic Chicken Recipes, Veal Chop Recipes, Beef Wellington Recipes, Leg of Lamb Recipes, Beans and Legumes