Black Bean Clams "Casino"
- 2 dozen small clams, like Manila, shucked, reserving the bottom shell
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon fermented black beans, rinsed and minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 ounces Chinese ham, cut into 1/8-inch dice (or Smithfield Ham)
- 1/2 -cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Canola oil, to cook
- 1 tablespoon whole pink peppercorns, for garnish
- Sea salt or gros sel, to coat baking hotel pan/tray
Preheat the broiler on high.
In a saute pan on medium heat, melt the butter and saute the black beans, garlic and shallots. Add the ham and stir. Remove from heat and transfer to a small bowl and fold in with the panko and lemon juice. Check for seasoning.
Top each shucked clam with the seasoned crumbs. Place the lined salt tray under the broiler for 3 minutes. Remove pre-heated tray and place clams on top. Place under the broiler until browned, about 3 minutes.
Plate clams on another plate lined with salt. Sprinkle with pink peppercorns and serve immediately.
Beverage: Same as the previous, Veuve Clicquot Blanc de Blanc or DVX
Copyright 2000, Ming Tsai, All Rights Reserved