Black Cod Cooked with Sake
Recipe courtesy Chef Morimoto
- Total Time:
- 40 min
- 20 min
- 20 min
- 1 serving
- 36 ounces sake
- 1 (7-ounce) black cod fillet
- 6 slices peeled ginger root, plus shredded ginger, for garnish
- 3 thick pieces burdock root
- 3 thick pieces Japanese mountain potato
- 3 ounces regular soy sauce
- Pinch Japanese premium white sugar
- 1 ounce mirin
- 1 ounce tamari soy sauce
- White scallion, for garnish
- Kinome (available at Japanese markets), watercress or mint leaves could be substituted
In a medium pot, bring sake to a boil and cook for 5 minutes.
Add black cod, ginger slices, burdock root and mountain potato. Then add regular soy and sugar and cook with a lid right over the fillet, not over the pot. This lid must be slightly smaller than the rim of the pot so that steam can evaporate through the gap.
When the vegetables and black cod are cooked through, remove them from the pot and boil the sauce until thickened slightly and reduced.
Add mirin for glazing. Then add tamari soy.
Place the fillet on a plate, garnish it with cooked vegetables. Pour the sauce over them.
Professional Recipe: This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.