Black-Eye Pea Fritter
- 1 pound dried black-eye peas, picked through and rinsed
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 scallions, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1 to 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Cilantro Yogurt Sauce, for dipping, recipe follows
- Cilantro Yogurt Sauce:
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 cup grated and squeezed cucumber
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
In a bowl, cover the beans with water, and soak overnight in a cool or refrigerated place. After draining the beans, peel off the outer skins.
In the bowl of a food processor, pulse the beans until the are finely ground. Turn the mixture out into a bowl.
In the bowl of the same food processor, put the onion, garlic, and scallions; process until finely chopped. Add onion mixture to beans, and add the rest of the spices. Put the mixture into the refrigerator for 1/2 hour.
Heat the oil to 350 degrees F, using a # 40 ice cream scooper or a tablespoon, drop the mixture into the oil, and fry until golden brown. Drain on paper towels or brown paper bags.
Serve with Cilantro Yogurt Sauce.Cilantro Yogurt Sauce:
Yield: 2 cups
Recipe courtesy of Cheryl Smith