Blackened Mixed Grill Salads
- 2 (8-ounce) skinless, boneless salmon fillets
- 2 (8-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 3 tablespoons Blackening Spice, recipe follows
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 7 ounces spring salad mix (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup sliced cucumber
- 1/4 cup diced roasted red pepper
- 1 lemon, cut into 8 wedges
- Blackening Spice:
- 5 tablespoons kosher salt
- 5 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
Thinly slice the salmon fillets in half horizontally to make 4 thin fillets. Do the same with the chicken. Coat the salmon and the chicken with about 1 1/2 tablespoons of the blackening spice each.
Heat 2 large cast iron skillets over high heat until almost smoking hot. Divide the oil between the skillets and quickly heat. Place the salmon filets gently in one skillet and the chicken in the other, and sear for 2 minutes. Flip the salmon and chicken and turn the heat down to medium. Cook the salmon until its slightly pink in the center, about 2 minutes more; cook the chicken until cooked through, about 3 to 4 minutes more.
Arrange the salad mix among 4 bowls and top with either the salmon or chicken. Sprinkle the cucumber and red pepper over the top of each salad. Squeeze 2 lemon wedges over each salad and serve immediately.
Mix all the ingredients well and store in a sealed container or spice canister.
Yield: 1 shaker full
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Ease of preparation: easy
Total Fat: .5
Recipe courtesy George Stella
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse