Blackened Sea Bass
- 4 (7-ounce) sea bass, skinless fillet
- Cajun spice mix, recipe follows
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 8 slices challah (loaf style, not braided)*
- Mayonnaise, as a dressing
- Ketchup, as a dressing
- Grated horseradish in vinegar, as a dressing
- Cajun Spice Mix:
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 1/4 cup cayenne powder
- 1/4 cup paprika
- 1/4 cup garlic granules
- 1/4 cup black pepper
- 2 tablespoons onion granules
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Heat a skillet over high heat. Dredge fish in spices and saute on both sides. Finish the cooking in the oven, for about 4 or 5 minutes.
It is also wise to have all your windows open, and all your smoke alarms disconnected, considering the amount of smoke that this wonderful dish produces.
*Cook's Note: if loaf challah cannot be found individual rolls: aqua bread, Kaiser, potato, or egg-bread rolls are all fine. Also, cocktail sauce can be used instead of the ketchup and horseradish mixture.Cajun Spice Mix:
Mix well. Store in glass or plastic container with lid.
Yield: about 1 1/2 cups
Recipe courtesy of Cheryl Smith