- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 6 allspice berries, crushed
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 Scotch Bonnet-type chile, pricked with a fork
- 6 limes, juiced
- 4 small red snappers, scaled and cleaned with the heads on
- 1 1/2 quarts water
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 bouquet garni: 1 sprig fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried, 2 chives, 1 sprig parsley
Prepare a marinade of salt and pepper, half the allspice, 1 garlic clove, chile, and half the lime juice. Place the fish in a bowl, cover with the marinade, and set aside for 1 hour. When ready to cook, place all of the remaining ingredients except the other half of lime juice and fish in a heavy pot and bring to a boil. When the water is at a rolling boil, place the fish in the liquid (listen for the blaff!) and allow it to return to the boil. Remove the fish and serve them in bowls covered with their cooking liquid and the remaining lime juice. Blaff is traditionally served with white rice.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.