Blair Beans and Rice
- 4 ounces slab bacon, rind removed and cut into 1/4-inch dice or 5 tablespoons pure Spanish olive oil
- 1 medium-size onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium-size green bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup dried black beans, rinsed, soaked overnight, and prepared according to directions on package to yield 2 1/2 cups cooked black beans or 2 (16-ounce) cans black beans, undrained
- 2 cups raw converted white rice
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons pure Spanish olive oil
- 1 tablespoon hot red pepper sauce (recommended: Blair's Original Death Sauce)
- Freshly ground black pepper
In a large saucepan, cook the bacon for 6 to 8 minutes over low heat, or heat the oil until fragrant. Add the onion, bell pepper, and garlic and cook, stirring, until tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and cook over medium-high heat until all the water has been absorbed and small craters form over the surface of the rice, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir with a fork, cover, and cook over low heat until the rice is tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Discard the bay leaf and serve.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.