- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 poblano pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 1/2 pounds russet potatoes, cut into 3/4-inch dice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup creme fraiche
- 4 (6-ounce) rainbow trout fillets
- 2 teaspoons Emeril's Southwest Essence, recipe follows
- 1 cup blue corn flour
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- Lime wedges, for serving
Roast the red, yellow and poblano peppers over an open flame; turn the peppers over the flame until the skin chars and blisters. Put the peppers in a bowl or paper bag, seal, and allow them to steam for 5 minutes. When the peppers are cool enough to handle, remove the stems, skins and seeds and any black bits. Cut the peppers into 1/2-inch squares and set aside.
In a large cast iron or nonstick skillet, over medium-high heat, add the olive oil. When hot add the onions and cook until they soften, about 4 minutes. Add the diced potatoes and peppers and season with salt and pepper. Cook, tossing occasionally, until potatoes are golden brown around the edges, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the green onions, stir, and remove from the heat. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary. Cover and keep warm while you prepare the sauce and fish.
Combine the cilantro, lime juice and cayenne pepper with the creme fraiche. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Set aside.
In a cast iron skillet, heat half of the vegetable oil and, when hot, add half of the butter. When the butter has melted, add half of the fillets, skin side down, and cook until skin side is golden brown and crispy, about 3 minutes. Flip and briefly cook on the presentation side until fish is just cooked through, about 1 minute longer. Remove from the pan and repeat with the remaining fillets, wiping the pan clean and adding more oil and butter.
Emeril's Southwest Essence:
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 1/2 cup