Bobbified Austrian Country Stuffing
- Total Time:
- 1 hr 15 min
- 25 min
- 50 min
- 12 servings
- 8 medium onions
- 2 bunches celery
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1 tablespoon hot Hungarian paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 2 loaves white bread, crust removed and air dried
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 poblano peppers, roasted, peeled and seeded
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
- 2 teaspoons coarsely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 cups chicken stock or turkey broth
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Coarsely dice the onions and celery so there is the same amount of each. Saute the vegetables in the oil in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly, to release the juices, about 10 minutes. Add the sweet and hot paprikas and parsley flakes and continue stirring another 10 minutes. Remove from the pan into large bowl.
Cut the bread into 1/4-inch cubes. Slowly mix the bread into the onion and celery mixture, until all the juices are soaked up.
Beat the eggs with the milk in a small bowl. Mix into the stuffing.
Chop the poblanos into a fine dice. Mix the poblanos, sage and thyme into the stuffing. Place the stuffing in a large baking dish. Add the chicken stock and combine. Cover with foil. Bake for 30 minutes.
Cook's Note: Use as a stuffing inside a bird if you prefer, though most people find that it dries out.
Recipe courtesy Jeanne Fleischhacker and Adam Fleischhacker
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse