Bobby's Lighter Frozen Chocolate Mousse Pie
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons chocolate-flavored liqueur
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons meringue powder
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free frozen whipped topping, thawed
- One 9-inch pre-made rolled pie crust, baked according to directions on box and cooled
- Half 1-ounce-square semisweet chocolate, grated, for garnish
Cook's Note: Meringue powder can be found now at most higher-end grocery stores or at craft stores in the cake decorating supplies section.
Melt both chocolates and the milk in a double boiler over low heat. Remove from the heat and add in the corn syrup, chocolate-flavored liqueur and vanilla extract. Mix together and allow to cool completely.
With an electric mixer on high speed, beat the meringue powder with 6 tablespoons water in a medium bowl until glossy peaks form, 2 to 3 minutes. With a rubber spatula, gently fold the beaten meringue and the whipped topping into the cooled chocolate mixture until no streaks of white remain. Spoon into the prepared crust and spread evenly. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze until frozen, for a couple of hours. Garnish with grated chocolate and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Deen