Bobby's Sweet and Spicy Pork and Slaw Sandwich
- Dry Rub:
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 pounds pork tenderloin
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons BBQ sauce, plus more for serving
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger root
- 6 whole-wheat hamburger buns
- Coleslaw, for serving
- Mustard, optional, for serving
- Pickle chips, optional, for serving
For the pork: Sprinkle the dry rub all over the pork tenderloins and place in a resealable plastic bag. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, and then bring to room temperature before cooking.
Cut each tenderloin into 2 or 3 large pieces. Heat the oil in a large soup pot or Dutch oven. Sear the pork on all sides in batches (you don't want to overcrowd the pan), 4 to 5 minutes. Cover with the apple juice, vinegar, BBQ sauce, garlic and ginger. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, and then cover and simmer for 30 minutes, turning occasionally.
Transfer the pork to a clean cutting board and shred using 2 forks. Place the shredded pork back into the pot and continue to cook over medium-low heat, uncovered, just to heat through, 10 minutes longer.
Recipe courtesy Bobby Deen