Bobby's Whole Grain Apple Cranberry Stuffing
- Nonstick cooking spray, for greasing
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth, hot
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup chopped celery (about 7 ribs)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 Granny Smith apples, cored and finely chopped
- 6 cups day-old whole grain baguette, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 large eggs, scrambled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 dried sage leaf, chopped
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 11-inch oval baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Combine the broth and cranberries in a small bowl and let soak for 30 minutes.
Saute the celery and onions in the butter in a large skillet until tender, 5 minutes. Add the apples and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat and transfer to a large bowl.
Place the baguette cubes into a large bowl. Pour the broth and cranberries over. Pour in the eggs, and then add the salt, poultry seasoning, pepper, cinnamon and sage and mix together.
Mix in the onion and celery mixture. Spoon the stuffing into the prepared dish and bake until the center is set, 35 to 40 minutes.
Recipe courtesy Bobby Deen
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen