Light Baked Spaghetti
- Kosher salt
- 6 ounces whole-wheat angel hair pasta
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 pound sweet Italian chicken sausage, casings removed
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 1/2 pound button or cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 28 -ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup torn fresh basil leaves
- Cooking spray, for the pan
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to the package directions; drain.
Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook 2 minutes. Add the sausage and cook, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in the bell peppers, mushrooms, seasoned salt and Italian seasoning and cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are soft, about 4 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, 3/4 cup water and the basil and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer until the sauce thickens slightly and the flavors are blended, about 15 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 2-quart casserole dish with cooking spray. Add the pasta to the skillet and toss to combine with the sauce. Spoon half of the pasta mixture into the casserole dish. Sprinkle with half of each cheese. Spoon the remaining pasta mixture on top. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and cover loosely with foil sprayed with cooking spray (do not let the foil touch the cheese). Bake until the cheese is melted and bubbly, 20 to 25 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Photograph by Kang Kim