Meat and Mushroom Lasagna
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground basil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground fennel
- 8 ounces portabella mushrooms, chopped
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chuck
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- One 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano
- One 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 1/4 cups grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1 cup small curd cottage cheese
- One 8-ounce package part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley leaves
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 9 whole-wheat oven-ready noodles
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and then add the garlic and onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste, oregano, basil and fennel, and then add the mushrooms and red pepper flakes. Stir in the ground beef and cook over medium heat until browned and crumbled. Add tomatoes and tomato sauce, bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat and simmer for 40 to 45 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Mix together the Parmigiano-Reggiano, cottage cheese, 2/3 cup of mozzarella and the egg in a small bowl. Stir in the parsley and lemon zest.
Spoon one-quarter of the sauce into the bottom of a 13- by 9- by 2-inch baking pan.
Place 3 uncooked lasagna noodles on top of the sauce without overlapping. Spread half of the cottage cheese mixture over noodles and top with another one-quarter of the sauce. Repeat the layers, ending with sauce, and sprinkle over the remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake for 45 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Deen