Monday-Night Red Beans and Rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound turkey andouille or other smoked turkey sausage, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 15 1/2 -ounce cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- Chopped scallions, for serving
In a medium pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the sausage, onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the beans, chicken broth, cumin, thyme, bay leaf, and pepper to taste and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for 10 minutes.
Serve the beans over the rice and top with the scallions.
Photograph by Kat Teutsch
Thank you! your flag was submitted.