- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound turkey andouille or other smoked turkey sausage, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 15 1/2-ounce cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- Chopped scallions, for serving
In a medium pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the sausage, onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the beans, chicken broth, cumin, thyme, bay leaf, and pepper to taste and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for 10 minutes.
Serve the beans over the rice and top with the scallions.
Photograph by Kat Teutsch