Battered Fried Chicken and Waffles with Bourbon-Tangerine Syrup
- 4 cups nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons chile de arbol powder
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Two whole 3-pound chickens, each cut into eight pieces
- Canola oil, for brushing and frying
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- Buttermilk Waffles, recipe follows
- Tangerine Pink Peppercorn Butter, recipe follows
- Sorghum-Bourbon-Tangerine Syrup, recipe follows
- Blackberry-Pomegranate Relish, recipe follows
- Buttermilk Waffles:
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Tangerine Pink Peppercorn Butter:
- 2 cups tangerine juice
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon clover honey
- 2 teaspoons pink peppercorns, coarsely crushed
- Pinch salt
- Sorghum-Bourbon-Tangerine Syrup:
- 1 cup sweet sorghum syrup, such as Bourbon Barrel Sorghum Syrup
- Finely grated zest of 1 tangerine, plus 1/4 cup tangerine juice
- Blackberry-Pomegranate Relish:
- 1 pint blackberries, sliced lengthwise
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
Whisk together 2 cups of the yogurt and 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons of the milk, 1 teaspoon of the chile de arbol, 2 teaspoons kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper in a large bowl until combined. Add the chicken and toss to coat evenly in the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours and up to 24 hours.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Remove the chicken from the marinade and rinse under cold water to remove the marinade. Pat dry on paper towels. Combine 2 teaspoons kosher salt, the remaining 1 teaspoon chile de arbol and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper in a small bowl. Put the chicken pieces on a large baking sheet and brush on both sides with canola oil. Season on both sides with the salt mixture and bake until lightly golden brown and the internal temperature registers 145 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer, about 25 minutes. Transfer to the refrigerator until cool enough to handle, about 20 minutes.
Whisk together the flour, garlic powder, onion powder, 1 tablespoon kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper in a large baking dish until combined. Whisk together the remaining 2 cups of yogurt and 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons of milk in a medium bowl. Season with 1 teaspoon kosher salt and pinch of black pepper. Working in batches, dip the chicken pieces in the yogurt mixture, then dredge in the flour mixture, tapping off excess flour.
Heat 2 inches of canola oil in a large cast iron pan over medium heat until it begins to shimmer. Fry the chicken in batches until golden brown on both sides and just cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Remove to a baking rack set over a baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining chicken.
Place a Buttermilk Waffle on a plate, spread with the Tangerine Pink Peppercorn Butter, top with some fried chicken and drizzle with the Sorghum-Bourbon-Tangerine Syrup. Garnish with the Blackberry-Pomegranate Relish.Buttermilk Waffles:
Preheat a waffle iron. Preheat the oven to 225 degrees F to keep the waffles warm, if desired. Whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk the egg yolks with the buttermilk and butter in another medium bowl.
Beat the egg whites until they just hold a 2-inch peak.
Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients in a thin steady stream while gently mixing with a rubber spatula; be careful not to add the liquid faster than you can incorporate it. Towards the end of mixing, use a folding motion to incorporate the ingredients; gently fold the egg whites into the batter.
Spread the appropriate amount of batter onto the waffle iron. Following the manufacturers instructions, cook the waffles until golden brown, 2 to 5 minutes. Serve immediately or keep warm in the oven. Yield: 4 to 6 wafflesTangerine Pink Peppercorn Butter:
Prepare an ice bath. Combine the tangerine juice and bourbon in a small saucepan, bring to a boil and cook until reduced to 1/2 cup. Transfer to a small bowl, place the bowl inside the ice bath and stir until cold.
Put the butter in a medium bowl, add the tangerine juice mixture, honey, peppercorns and salt and stir until combined. Yield: 1 cupSorghum-Bourbon-Tangerine Syrup: Blackberry-Pomegranate Relish:
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay
Recipe courtesy of Brianna Jenkins