- 8 cups water
- 1 large stalk celery, coarsely chopped (about 2/3 cup)
- 1 large carrot, peeled and coarsely chopped (about 2/3 cup)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 3 fresh parsley sprigs
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 cloves garlic
- 5 peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 12 whole peppercorns
- 6 bay leaves
- 6 cloves garlic
- 6 whole cloves
For the cooking liquid, in a large pot, combine all the cooking liquid ingredients. Place over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes. Strain, discarding the solids. Let the liquid cool in the pot.
For the shrimp: Add the shrimp to the cooled cooking liquid. Heat over medium-high heat for 8 minutes. When cooked, remove shrimp to a bowl and reserve the liquid.
In each of 6 (8-ounce) jars, layer the shrimp and onion slices. Add 2 peppercorns, 1 bay leaf, 1 garlic clove, and 1 whole clove to each jar. Divide the vinegar mixture among the jars. Top off each jar with the reserved cooking liquid. Screw the lids on tightly and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Discard bay leaves.