Sherry Vinegar-Brown Sugar Baste:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 shallots, coarsely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Spanish paprika
- 1 1/2 cups sherry vinegar
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 8 plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 3 cups homemade chicken stock or low sodium canned
Place medium saucepan on side burner over medium high heat. Add the oil, shallots and garlic and cook until soft. Add the paprika and cook for 2 minutes. Add the sherry vinegar and cook until reduced by 3/4. Add the brown sugar, tomatoes, and stock. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 30 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a food processor and process until smooth. Return the mixture to a clean saucepan and cook until thickened, about 20 minutes. Let cool to room temperature and reserve 1/2 cup.
- 2 whole chickens, about 2 to 2 1/2 pounds each, butterflied
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Sherry Vinegar-Brown Sugar Baste
Preheat grill to medium. Brush chickens with olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Grill the chicken, skin-side down, until golden brown, about 4 to 5 minutes. Turn the chicken over and continue grilling until cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes, turning occasionally. Baste with the barbecue baste every 3 minutes. Place the chicken on a large platter and cut in half. Brush with some of the reserved sauce.