- 1 pound kale, stemmed
- Canola oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Spanish onion
- 2 or 3 russet potatoes (1 pound), peeled, coarsely grated, and squeezed dry 1 large egg, lightly whisked
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups fresh farmer cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 green onions, dark and pale green parts finely chopped
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Reduce the oven to 250 degrees F.
Meanwhile, mix the onions, potatoes, egg and 3 tablespoons of the flour in a large bowl until combined. If the mixture feels very wet, add a little more of the flour.
Heat 1/2 inch canola oil in a large high-sided saute pan over medium heat until it begins to sizzle. Spoon 1 heaping tablespoon of the potatoes per pancake into the pan, spreading into a 2-inch round with a fork. Cook until the bottom is browned, about 5 minutes, and then flip and cook 5 minutes more. Transfer to paper towels to drain and season with salt. Keep the pancakes warm on a wire rack set in a shallow baking pan in the oven.
Combine the cheese, parsley and green onions in a small bowl and season with salt and pepper.