Grilled Flatbread with Asparagus Pesto and Fontina
- 1 pound grilled asparagus
- 1/2 cup packed fresh basil leaves, plus chopped for garnish
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 3/4 cup, plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup, plus 4 tablespoons grated Pecorino Romano
- 1 pound fontina cheese, thinly sliced
- 1 large prepared pizza shell (recommended: Boboli)
Heat grill to high
Combine the asparagus, basil, garlic and pine nuts in a food processor and pulse a few times to coarsely chop. With the motor running, slowly add the oil and process until emulsified. Season with salt and pepper and transfer the pesto to a bowl. Stir in the Pecorino Romano.
Place pizza shell on the grill. Grill until slightly crisp, about 1 minute. Remove the shells and spread each with the pesto. Top with the fontina, return to the grill, close the cover and continue cooking until the cheese has melted, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the grill and sprinkle with the remaining Romano cheese and chopped fresh basil. Slice each flatbread into bite-sized pieces.
Recipe courtesy Bobby Flay, 2007
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay