Green Chile-Coconut Milk Broth:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large red onion, coarsely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 1 cup fresh or bottled clam juice
- 1 can unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 poblano peppers, roasted and coarsely chopped
- 1 serrano pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup packed spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Preheat grill or side burner. Heat oil in a large enamel-coated Dutch oven until almost smoking. Add onions and cook until soft, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and ginger and cook for 2 minutes. Add wine and reduce until almost dry. Add clam juice, coconut milk, poblano and serrano and bring to a boil. Add spinach leaves and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, until just wilted.
Transfer mixture to a blender, add water and blend until smooth. Return mixture to the pot and bring to a boil. Add honey and season with salt and pepper to taste.