Grilled Tuna with Grilled Ratatouille Couscous and Deconstructed Pesto
- 1 cup whole wheat Israeli couscous
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable stock or water
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Japanese eggplants, halved
- 2 zucchini, halved
- 2 yellow squash, halved
- 1 red onion, cut into thick slices
- Canola oil, for brushing the vegetables and tuna
- 1 pint grape or pear tomatoes
- 2 tuna steaks, each about 1 1/2 inches thick
- 1 cup basil leaves, roughly chopped, plus whole leaves for garnish
- 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
- 3 cloves garlic, minced and crushed to a paste with salt
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
Special equipment: a grill basket
Toast 1/2 cup of the couscous in a dry skillet over medium heat. Bring the vegetable stock to a boil, stir in the toasted and untoasted couscous and some salt, cover, and simmer until the couscous is cooked and the stock absorbed, about 8 minutes. Remove from the heat, fluff with a fork, and set aside.
Heat the grill to medium-high. Brush the eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash and red onion with canola oil, season with salt and pepper and grill until both sides are charred and the vegetables tender. Remove, cool slightly, and cut into large chunks.
Toss the tomatoes with canola oil, season with salt and pepper and grill in the grill basket until they are just lightly charred.
Brush the tuna steaks with canola oil, season with salt and pepper and grill until golden-brown and medium-rare, about 2 minutes per side.
Recipe courtesy Bobby Flay
Tapenade of Anchovies, Black Olives, Capers and Parsley over Grilled Tuna Steak with Grilled Polenta
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse