GRILLED VIDALIA ONIONS:
- 1 Vidalia onion, sliced crosswise 1/2-inch thick (do not separate into rings)
- Olive oil, for brushing
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat a gas or charcoal grill to high.
Brush onions with olive oil on both sides and season with salt and pepper. Grill until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
- 1/2 cup Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh horseradish, or prepared horseradish, drained
Mix the mustard and horseradish together in a small bowl.
May be refrigerated up to 1 week; serve at room temperature.
Yield: 1 cup
- 11/4 pounds freshly ground chuck (slightly coarse grind)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 (1/4-inch-thick) slices Cheddar cheese
- 4 hamburger buns
- 4 leaves romaine lettuce
- Grilled Vidalia onions, recipe above
- 4 (1/4-inch-thick) slices beefsteak tomatoes (2 tomatoes)
- Horseradish Mustard, recipe above
Divide the chuck into 4 (5-ounce) burgers and season on both sides with salt and pepper (handle as little as possible and form the burgers loosely). On the preheated grill, cook 3 to 4 minutes on each side for medium rare.
During the last minutes of cooking, top each burger with 2 slices of cheese, cover the grill, and let the cheese melt, about 1 minute. Split the buns and toast on the grill, cut side down, until golden.
Place a burger on each bun and top with lettuce, onions, tomato, and a dollop of Horseradish Mustard. Arrange on a large platter.