Red Chile Russian Dressing:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 1 tablespoon ancho chili powder
- 6 cornichons, finely dicedPinch chile de arbol or cayenne pepper
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 loaves cocktail-size rye bread, sliced
- 1 pound Swiss cheese, sliced
- 8 ounces sauerkraut, rinsed and drained twice
- 8 ounces thinly sliced lean corned beef, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more if needed
Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F.
For the red chile russian dressing: Whisk together the mayonnaise, ketchup, horseradish, capers, chili powder, cornichons and chile de arbol in a bowl and season with salt and black pepper. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
For the reuben sandwiches: Lay out 20 slices of the bread on a clean work surface, and spread each with a few teaspoons of the Red Chile Russian Dressing. Top each bread slice with 2 slices of the cheese and a dollop of the sauerkraut, followed by a few folded slices of the corned beef. Top each sandwich with another slice of bread.
Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches of 5, place the sandwiches in the pan and press down with a metal spatula. Cook until both sides are golden brown. Add more butter, if needed, before cooking the next batch. Keep the sandwiches warm in the oven on a large baking sheet.