- 1 bunch or 8 ounces spinach, stems removed, washed and trimmed
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 24 (1/2 to 1 ounce) thinly sliced pieces geoduck siphon, pounded
- Dipping Sauce, recipe follows
- 2 green onions (scallions), green part only, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons sliced pickled ginger
In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, blanch the spinach for about 1 minute, or until leaves are just wilted. Drain and rinse under cold water until the spinach is thoroughly cooled. Drain well and wrap spinach in clean, dry towel. Squeeze to remove excess moisture. Place spinach in medium bowl, sprinkle on sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, and salt and toss to mix. Set aside until ready to use. Sprinkle with sesame seeds for garnish just before serving.
Place a portion of the Sesame Spinach in the center of 4 plates. Or, place spinach on 1 large platter for buffet or family-style serving. Arrange 6 geoduck slices around the spinach. Drizzle some sauce on the geoduck and garnish with a sprinkling of green onions. Serve a bit of the sauce on the side as a dipping sauce, if desired. Place pickled ginger in center of salad in a mound.
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon Asian barbecue sauce
- 2 teaspoons hot bean sauce
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons Chinese Shoaxing wine or dry Sherry
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon sugar
In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine shallots, garlic, Asian barbecue sauce, hot bean sauce, and hoisin sauce and cook for 30 seconds. Add wine and cook for 1 minute. Add soy sauce, stock and sugar and cook for 2 minutes. Adjust with sugar, to taste. Transfer mixture to a blender and process until liquefied. Let cool.