- 2 large Spanish onions, chopped
- 1 head garlic, divided into cloves, peeled, and chopped
- 5 to 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds Portuguese chourico (linguica is the milder sausage for the faint of heart.)
- 6 tablespoons crushed red pepper in vinegar
- 4 cups of water
- 2 (16-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes or vegetable tomato juice
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Portuguese allspice, optional
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 3 to 5 red bliss potatoes
- 1 bunch garden green beans or pea pods
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup of any wine or vermouth
- 3 to 5 lobster tails
- 1 pound Cherrystone clams
- 1 pound mussels
- 1 pound cod or sea bass
You will need two large saucepots. In one pot saute one onion and half the garlic in 2 to 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil until transparent. Cut Portuguese chourico into desired pieces, and add 1 pound to the onion mixture. Add 3 tablespoons crushed red pepper in vinegar.
Do the same exact thing in the other large saucepot.
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The FN chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.