Skewered Sea Scallops with Lemon-Fennel Dressing
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons Pernod
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 12 sea scallops
- 8 wooden skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- Lemon-Fennel Dressing, recipe follows
- 2 lemons, halved and grilled
- Lemon-Fennel Dressing:
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh fennel tops
Heat grill to high.
Whisk together the garlic, Pernod, olive oil, and salt and pepper, to taste, in a large baking dish. Add the scallops, turn to coat, cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
Skewer 3 scallops onto 2 skewers so that the scallops lay flat. Season the scallops with salt and pepper on both sides and grill for about 2 minutes per side or until just cooked through. Transfer to a serving platter and immediately drizzle with the Lemon-Fennel Dressing. Serve with grilled lemons on the side.Lemon-Fennel Dressing:
Whisk together the lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, and salt and pepper, to taste, in a medium bowl until combined. Slowly whisk in the oil until emulsified and then stir in the chopped fresh fennel tops.
Recipe courtesy of Michael Chiarello