Green Tomato Chowchow Relish:
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 3 green tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 large red bell pepper, grilled, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, grilled, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 jalapeno, grilled and diced
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup whole-grain mustard
- 3 tablespoons prepared barbecue sauce, such as Bobby Flay Mesa Grill BBQ Sauce
- 3 cornichons, finely diced
- 2 green onions, green and pale green parts, finely diced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds smoked pork sausage links (12 to 14 links)
- Thick-cut grilled bread, for serving
For the green tomato chowchow relish: Combine the vinegar, sugar, salt, celery seeds and mustard seeds in a small saucepan, bring to a boil and cook until the sugar is dissolved. Remove and let the mixture cool completely.
Combine the tomatoes, red and yellow bell peppers, jalapenos and onions in a medium bowl. Add the cooled vinegar mixture, olive oil and black pepper and mix until combined. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 24 hours before serving.
For the BBQ remoulade: Whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard, barbecue sauce, cornichons and green onions in a medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper, cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour to allow the flavors to meld.
Heat the grill to high for direct grilling. Grill the sausages until golden brown and charred on all sides and just cooked through, about 10 minutes.
To serve, slice the sausages and arrange on a platter. Serve with bowls of the BBQ remoulade and chowchow relish, with grilled bread on the side.