Smoked Trout with Malt Vinegar Salad Stuffed Creamer
- Four 1 1/2 to 2-pound whole trout, scaled, gutted, and cut into 4 skin-on fillets
- Alder or apple wood chips, soaked in cold water at least 2 hours
- 35 creamer potatoes, par-boiled, halved
- 3 to 4 tablespoons mayonnaise, such as Hellman's
- 3 tablespoons whole-grain mustard, plus more to taste
- 3 tablespoons malt vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill, plus whole sprigs for garnish
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish, plus more to taste
- 3 green onions, dark and pale green parts thinly sliced, plus more for garnish
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Trout roe, for garnish
Preheat the fryer to 350 degrees F.
Prepare the smoker, using wood chips, so that it maintains a temperature of 150 to 160 degrees F. Place the trout fillets onto the smoking racks skin-side down, separating them by at least 1/4 inch and put into the smoker. Adjust the heat as needed and cook until the fish is opaque, has darkened in color and has the desired level of smoke flavor, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove the skin and bones, flake into large pieces, and place in a bowl.
Cut the bottoms off of the creamers so they will sit flat, and scoop out the center flesh of each one.
Whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, dill, horseradish and onions in a small bowl and season with salt and pepper. Pour some of the dressing over the trout, gently mixing to combine. Add more horseradish and mustard, to taste.
Fry the potatoes in batches until they are golden and crispy, 4 to 5 minutes. Drain on a paper-towel-lined sheet tray and season with salt. Stuff the potatoes with the trout salad, and garnish with dill sprigs and trout roe.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Jake's Keawe-smoked Chicken Halves served with Jake's Smoked Pineapple-Mango Salsa, Smoked Turkey and Pear Salad with Pomegranate Vinaigrette and Prosciutto Croutons, Smoked Salmon Rounds with Black Sesame Seeds, Potato Recipes, Appetizer Recipes , Potato Soup Recipes, Red Potato, Easy Appetizer Recipes, Mashed Potato Recipes
Thank you! your flag was submitted.