Sour Cream Waffles with Fresh Peaches and Toasted Pecan Praline Sauce
- Toasted Pecan Praline Sauce:
- 1 cup packed light brown muscovado sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 3 ripe peaches, halved, pitted and sliced
- Sour Cream Waffles:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Rounded 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg or cardamom
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons pure cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- Nonstick spray or melted unsalted butter, for waffle iron
- Confectioners' sugar, for garnish
- Sprigs fresh mint, for garnish
For the sauce: In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the muscovado, butter and salt. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Whisk in the cream and cook for an additional minute, continuing to whisk. Remove from heat and stir in the pecans and peaches. Keep warm over a double boiler.
For the waffles: Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cardamom and in a large bowl. Whisk together the milk, sour cream, butter, cane sugar, vanilla and eggs in a medium bowl. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and whisk until just combined. Let rest for 10 minutes.
Preheat a waffle iron and lightly spray with nonstick spray or brush with butter. Add about 1/2 cup of the batter per waffle. Close the lid and wait until the steam has stopped emerging from the cracks of the iron, about 4 minutes.
Serve the waffles with the toasted pecan praline sauce, dust with confectioner's sugar and garnish with a sprig of mint.