- 8 cups chicken stock
- 6 ounces frozen concentrated Granny Smith apple juice
- 1/4 cup tightly packed dark brown sugar
- 8 whole black peppercorns
- 1/2 cup ancho chile powder
- 1/2 cup pasilla chile powder
- 1/2 cup chopped garlic
- 1 center cut pork loin (9 bones)
Combine the stock, apple juice, sugar and peppercorns in a medium saucepan over high heat and reduce to 3 cups. Season to taste with salt and strain through a fine strainer.Mix all ingredients until well combined.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a small bowl, combine the chile powders and garlic.
Season the pork loin to taste with salt and pepper and rub all surfaces with the chile mixture. In a large roasting pan, roast the loin until medium rare, about 40 minutes.
When cool enough to handle, cut between the bones into 8 chops. In a heavy ridged grill pan, sear the chops 3 minutes on each side until grill marked. Place on a serving platter and brush with maple glaze. Serve with sauce and chutney on the side.
Apple Ginger Chutney:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno
- 2 tablespoons finely diced ginger
- 2 medium oranges, zest removed and finely sliced, flesh cut into segments
- 2 cups fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 6 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons finely diced red pepper
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and saute the onion and jalapeno until the onion is translucent.
Add the ginger, orange zest, orange juice, vinegar, brown sugar and honey and cook until the sauce is reduced by half and has a glazed appearance. Reduce the heat to low, add two thirds of the apple slices, and cook until the fruit is just tender.
Turn off the heat and gently fold in the remaining apples and the orange segments. Pour the chutney into a bowl and allow to cool to room temperature.
Mix in the cilantro, red bell pepper and salt and pepper to taste.