Strawberry Rhubarb Zinfandel Crepes
- About 3 ounces (85 grams) cake flour
- About 3 ounces (85 grams) bread flour
- About 1.5 ounces (43 grams) sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- About 3 ounces (85 grams) melted butter
- 3 pints strawberries, hulled
- About 7 ounces (187 grams) sugar
- 1/2 whole nutmeg, crushed
- About 11 ounces (300 ml) Zinfandel
- About 6 cups (1.5 liter) water
- About 7 ounces (75 g) fresh ginger
- 1 vanilla bean, split
- 1 .5 pounds rhubarb, cut into large chunks
- About 7 ounces (200 grams) sugar
- For the rhubarb butter:
- 1/2 pound butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup rhubarb syrup
- For the sauteed strawberries:
- 3 pints strawberries, hulled and quartered
- Some rhubarb butter
- 2 tablespoons vanilla sugar
- Raspberry vinegar
- For service:
- Vanilla sugar
- Crushed pink peppercorns
- Ice cream
DirectionsFor the crepe batter: For the Strawberry Zinfandel syrup: For the rhubarb syrup:
For the crepes:
In a bowl, whisk dry ingredients together. In a separate bowl, whisk wet ingredients together. Slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet. Chill for 1 hour. Strain, if necessary.
Add enough batter to a hot pan to thinly coat the bottom of the pan. Cook crepe for a minute or so or until the bottom of the crepe edges start to curl. Flip over and cook for about 30 seconds. Remove each crepe and stack on a plate. Set aside until ready to fill.
For the Strawberry Zinfandel syrup:
Add all ingredients into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil until reduced about 3/4 of the way. Strain and then continue to reduce to a medium syrup.
For the rhubarb syrup:
Place the ingredients into a large pot, cover with water and bring to a boil. Boil until reduced about 3/4. Strain and then continue to reduce to a heavy syrup.
For the rhubarb butter:
Place ingredients into a bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle and cream until homogenous. This can alternately be done with a hand mixer.
For the sauteed strawberries:
Fill crepes with some of the strawberry mixture and a little more rhubarb butter. Fold into quarters and place on sizzle platter, 3 at a time, dotted with a small amount of rhubarb butter.
Lay 1 crepe browned side down and smear with a bit of rhubarb butter. Spoon some of the sauteed strawberries down the center and fold the crepe over so it overlaps slightly. Sprinkle with some of the vanilla sugar and brown with a torch. Drizzle some of the Zinfandel syrup over, and sprinkle with pink peppercorns and strawberries. Serve with ice cream, if desired.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.