- 8 ounces skinless, boneless Arctic char, finely diced
- 1 ounce shallots, minced
- 1 ounce caper, minced
- 1 anchovy fillet, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- Salt and pepper
- 5 ounces warm waxy potatoes, like Yukon Golds, riced
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon creme fraiche
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
Ice Wine-Thyme Ice:
- 4 ounces Inniskillin Ice Wine
- 1/2 teaspoon picked thyme leaves
- Ice cube tray
- 1 teaspoon creme fraiche
- 1 teaspoon caviar
- Extra virgin olive oil
For the Pancake: Working quickly while potatoes are still warm (not hot!), stir 1 egg into the potatoes until well incorporated. Stir in creme fraiche, then flour, and season with salt and pepper. Consistency should be slightly thicker than pancake butter. In a cast-iron skillet over medium high heat, melt butter, and add one heaping tablespoon of pancake batter. Cook pancakes for one and half minutes per side. Reserve on paper towel until ready for serving.
For the Ice Wine-Thyme Ice: In a bowl, whisk ice wine and thyme leaves together vigorously. Ladle one ounce of ice wine mixture into each ice cube tray section. Freeze for one hour or until just frozen. Place ice in a small bowl just before serving and lightly crush with a fork.
With a ring mold, place tartar in middle of a serving plate. Place warm pancake on top of tartar, followed by a teaspoon of creme fraiche and finally a teaspoon of caviar. Sprinkle crushed ice wine ice around tartar and finally drizzle a bit of extra virgin olive oil around the dish. Serve immediately.
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The FN chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.