Wild Mushroom Rice
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and caps cut 1/4-inch thick
- 2 large portobello mushrooms, stems removed and caps cut 1/4-inch thick
- 1/2 pound oyster mushrooms, stems removed and caps cut 1/4-inch thick
- Salt and pepper for seasoning, plus 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 3 cups converted rice
- 7 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup porcini mushroom powder
Heat 3 tablespoons butter and 2 tablespoons oil in a large saute pan over high heat. Add the mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, to taste, and saute until golden brown.
In a medium saucepan heat remaining butter and oil over medium heat, add the onions and cook until soft. Add the rice and stir to coat with the butter and oil. Add 6 cups of the stock, 1 teaspoon of salt and the porcini powder, bring to a boil, cover, lower the heat and cook until all the liquid is absorbed. Fold in the mushroom mixture, more stock, if needed, and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cook to heat through, about 5 minutes.
Copyright 1999 Bobby Flay. All Rights Reserved