Burger Patties and Cheese:
- 30 ounces ground chuck (20 percent fat)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons bourbon (recommended: Bulleit brand)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/4 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/4 teaspoons table salt
- 30 grinds fresh black pepper
- 6 ounces Dubliner cheese (Kerrygold brand), thinly sliced and divided into 6 (1-ounce) servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter (European style)
- 1 large Vidalia onion, halved (through the core) and thinly sliced (1/4-inch)
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 8 grinds fresh black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup bourbon (recommended: Bulleit brand)
- Brioche hamburger-sized buns, halved
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter (European style), at room temperature
Combine well-chilled ground chuck with bourbon and Worcestershire sauce and mix lightly with a fork to combine. Add oregano, cumin, salt, and pepper and mix lightly with a fork to combine. Combine more thoroughly with hands, being careful not to over mix. Separate meat mixture into 6 even portions and form into patties. Set patties on a board.
Heat nonstick grill pan over medium-high heat.
Heat olive oil and butter in nonstick skillet over medium heat for 1 minute. Add onion slices to skillet and toss in the oil and butter. Add salt, pepper, oregano, and cumin and toss. Continue to saute onions, but start cooking burgers.
Place patties on grill pan and cook for 2 1/2 minutes on 1 side. Flip patties and place cheese on top of each. Cook for 1 minute and then tent foil over patties and cook for 1 1/2 minutes. Remove patties from grill and place on a clean board. Replace foil tent over patties and let rest for 5 minutes. Turn heat under grill pan down to low and give pan a quick wipe with a damp paper towel (held in tongs).
Once onions start to turn slightly golden, pour bourbon into skillet, off the burner. Once alcohol cooks off, turn heat under skillet down to low, and let onions absorb liquid.
Place bun halves on grill pan and toast until lightly golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from grill pan and butter with 1/2 tablespoon of butter per bun. Place 1 patty on each bun bottom, top with approximately 1/4 cup onions, and bun top.
Serve and enjoy!
A viewer, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.