Bourbon-Marinated Pork Roast with Country Ham Jus
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup sorghum molasses (recommended: Kentucky)
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce (such as Heinz)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Asian garlic chili paste
- 1 (8-bone) crown roast of pork, 5 to 7 pounds, with 1/4 inch fat and bones "Frenched"*
- Ham Jus, recipe follows
- Pawpaw Relish, recipe follows
- Country Ham Jus:
- 8 ounces country ham bones or smoked pork bones (recommended: Kentucky brand)
- 4 cups water
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 1 small carrot, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon whole peppercorns
- 2 cups demi-glace or very rich veal stock
- Pawpaw Relish:
- 1 green tomato, diced
- 1 mango, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 bunch cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup pawpaw puree (*Find pawpaw puree at www.integrationacres.com, or substitute pureed papaya).
*To "French" the rib bones means to cut out the material between the bones. Your meat cutter should know how to cut the roast and should do it for you on request.
To marinate the pork roast, combine maple syrup, molasses, bourbon, chili sauce, and chili paste in a shallow dish and mix well. Brush the roast all over with the marinade and refrigerate it 8 hours or longer.
Preheat 1 side of a grill to high heat.
To cook, sear the roast all over on a hot grill. Once it browns, move the meat to a cooler spot. Lower the heat and continue to cook, covered, at a lower temperature, until it is done, about 11/2 to 2 hours, depending on its size -- the meat should register 150 to 155 degrees F in its thickest part.
To serve, reheat the country ham jus and divide it among serving plates. Place pork on plates and add a generous spoonful of Pawpaw Relish.Country Ham Jus:
For the country ham jus, combine the ham bones, 4 cups water, onion, celery, carrot, thyme, bay leaf, and pepper in a large stockpot. Simmer, uncovered, for 3 hours, or until liquid is reduced to 1 cup. Strain out the solids. Combine with demi-glace in pot and cook until reduced to 1 1/2 cups. Add salt, to taste. Refrigerate.Pawpaw Relish:
Mix all the ingredients together.
Yield: about 3 cups
Professional Recipe: This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy Jim Gerhardt, Seelbach Hilton Hotel