Kalbi (KAHL-bee): A traditional Korean BBQ meat dish, kalbi is marinated short ribs (either on the bone or cut into pieces) cooked on a grill.
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 Korean pear or Asian pear, grated with juices
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 1/2 small white onion, grated or sliced
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 (20-ounce) bottle lemon-lime soda, optional (recommended: Sprite or 7-Up)
- 4 pounds short ribs
- Cooked white rice, for serving
- Prepared kimchee, for serving (available at Korean grocers)
Whisk together all the marinade ingredients in a large baking dish. Add the ribs and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight; it is best if marinated overnight.
Heat grill to high. Remove short ribs from marinade and grill short ribs until slightly charred and tender and cooked to desired degree of doneness. Serve short ribs with white rice and kimchee.